Can there be too much sunshine?

December 19th, 2012 · 7 Comments

That’s the question I asked in my Civil Beat column this morning (“Hawaii Monitor: Can There Be Too Much Sunshine in Government?“).

Please stop over at Civil Beat and check it out. I expect my thoughts will be controversial and, hopefully, trigger some insightful discussion. Don’t be shy about commenting.

Tags: lobbyists · Politics · Sunshine

• 1 rlb_hawaii // Dec 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy…
    Sunshine in my eyes can make me cryyyyyyyy

• 2 Hugh Clark // Dec 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Maybe too much in theSahara or Death Valley, never in government or the courts.

• 3 Lopaka43 // Dec 20, 2012 at 4:43 am

Can’t think of an exception, Hugh? Not even if it was your personnel file that was under examination, or your child’s mental health records?

• 4 Hugh Clark // Dec 20, 2012 at 8:03 am

Why would county council or planning commission be looking at our daughter’s non-existent mental health records ? I have no further job aspirations but they can quickly learn of my 1971 firing that turned out to be a key lifetime promotion.

I would be far more alarmed if they were planning to discuss such matters in a closed-door session!

Not much good can happen in a secret meeting.

• 5 Reader // Dec 20, 2012 at 9:12 am

Off topic – nice photo of the sun in the Civil Beat article – but it would have been even nicer to include one of your wonderful sunrise photos, Ian!

• 6 Natalie // Dec 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I think Ian brought up a good point with the Duke Bainum rail example. On the whole, however, I’d rather let the sun shine in. I think part of the problem, as mentioned, is that people take it farther than was intended.

• 7 Lopaka43 // Dec 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm

family courts often look at children’s personal records. Point I was making is that there are many instances where closed court proceedings serve a public purpose.
    And courts have regularly allowed legislative bodies to close their meetings to discuss personnel issues.