From Swanky Franky to backyard bomb shelters: More views of Hawaii in the 1940s

February 17th, 2013 · 8 Comments

Swanky FrankyI’m still coming across old photographs among my mother’s papers and making quick scans using my iPhone and an app called “CamScanner.” The results aren’t bad at all for sharing on the web.

This photo from 1940 shows my dad, John Lind, on the right, sitting in front of one of the Swanky Franky hot dog carts that gave brothers Cliff and Spence Weaver their start in the restaurant business. And I’m guessing those are the Weaver brothers with my dad in the picture.

My father came to Hawaii to take a job in the Honolulu office of San Francisco-based Dohrmann Hotel Supply Company. He was a good salesman, so it would have been natural to make friends with the Weaver brothers and other up-and-coming entrepreneurs.

This batch of photos ranges from Kahala to the University of Hawaii and back to downtown Honolulu on VJ Day.

–>See all of today’s gallery of old Hawaii photographs from my mother’s collection.

Tags: History · Photographs

• 1 Kimo // Feb 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

Amused to see the photo of the waterless Varney Circle fountain – it was often thus, and until someone figured out about how to properly filter the water, resembled the current State Capitol pools.
    Also, one caption notes your parents are in front of Hawaii Hall at UHM, with Varney Circle in the background. I always considered that the BACK side of the building, with the front facing the Quad. In fact, dim recollection, but somewhere in the history of the building prepared for some anniversary, I think it was noted that the Varney Circle side of the building didn’t even have steps when it was first built. And commencements were regularly held on the Quad side steps. Discuss? Willing to be corrected on this . . .

• 2 Patty // Feb 17, 2013 at 11:13 am

I absolutely love this photos and others of your mothers. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 Constantinos Papacostas // Feb 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I have collected info about the McCandless building because the Engineering Association held its regular meetings in the rooms of the Commercial Club on the top floor for decades.

If your posted photo (#18) was taken from this building, then the coral-block building at the corner of King and Fort was a building that at one time housed the First National Bank of Hawaii and, if I am not mistaken, McInerny later.

• 4 Constantinos Papacostas // Feb 17, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I agree that the front of Hawaii Hall faces the Quad.

• 5 Constantinos Papacocstas // Feb 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm

In my July 2010 history vignette posted at

I wrote: {As for Main Hall, the Evening Bulletin [EB] of June 3, 1911 printed plan drawings of the proposed building by the architects Ripley and Reynolds. The estimated to cost $75,000 three-story building was elsewhere described as having the shape of the letter “E,” owing to the fact that it included three proposed extensions on the main entrance side, facing town, which apparently never made it from dream into reality! Instead, staircases were added on both sides. According to the EB article “bids for the contract will be called for in about sixty days. The building is to be completed in a year.” }

• 6 aikea808 // Feb 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I had to look 2 times at your blog title and the picture before I realized you hit the ‘P’ instead of the ‘W’ – and I take it, by accident. :-)

• 7 Constantinos Papacostas // Feb 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I apologize for my sloppiness:

The building I described was not constructed of coral-block but of blue-stone, like many other buildings of its era.

Also it may have been the McInerny & Bros location before the National Bank occupied it.

Sorry!

• 8 Constantinos Papacostas // Feb 21, 2013 at 8:59 pm

At the turn of the 20th century when it was built, it was named “The McIntyre Building.”